Monday, August 1, 2011

K-Town Race Report

10 Seconds!!! After almost 90 minutes of racing I lost by 10 seconds. This was a heart breaker since I have been second so many times this year and to be so close to standing on the top of the podium. Starting the bike I was around 2 minutes back from the leader and knew I was going to have to work pretty hard to make up the gap. 10 seconds really made me take a close look at my race to see if there is anywhere I could have made up the time. So here is what I came up with:

The swim and T1 (12:33 9th overall). I feel like there is always some time that can be gained in the swim. Maybe if I wouldn't have sat on some feet, but maybe this would have used more energy and killed me later. Maybe if I sited better. For transition maybe I should have put my number belt and glasses on while riding.

The bike (48:36 6th overall). I think I was probably around 5th after the bike, but this is where the eventual winner put in 2:16 on me. I thought this was a tough bike course with hardly a flat spot to be found. I would compare it to Knoxville, but the climbs here were much shorter and steeper which I found harder than the long gradual climbs of the Smokey Mountains. Add to the hills a strong head wind, and I got my butt kicked. I still averaged 37kmh so I can't complain to much. Maybe if I would have pedaled harder down the hills instead of getting into a tuck I could have made up some time or if stayed in the aerobars over the sketchy bridge instead of playing it safe I could have saved a couple seconds.

The run and T2 (26:14 fastest run by 1:13) I had a great run, and everything felt like it was clicking until the final 800m. I passed a couple guys early, and could always see someone ahead of me so I just kept pushing. There were a couple hills on the course and just kept focusing on the leader. Coming down the homestretch was amazing with all the people cheering. I was giving everything I had to the point where my form became terrible and I could taste puke in my mouth, but I just ran out of room. If the race had been another kilometer I think I would have caught him.

So many little things that could have added up to the ten seconds I lost, but I don't have time to worry to much as I am racing in the elite race this weekend at the Tecumseh triathlon. Looking forward to racing some of the fastest non-drafting athletes in Ontario.

Shout out to Zorian, Daniela, and the rest of the Kingston guys it was an awesome weekend and the KCVI relay was smokin fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment