Thursday, June 30, 2011

Blood Testing, Lactate Testing, and Dehydration

Last week I took an easy recovery week to recover from all the racing I have done so far. With this down time I figure it was perfect to get my blood tested to make sure everything was in check. The main things I were interested in were my hematocrit and ferritin levels. Everything came out to be within the normal range, but I am far from being a genetic freak. My hematocrit was .44 and .50 is kind of the arbitrary line they made for doping. Ferritin was 144ug/L which I was glad to see because I know a lot of endurance athletes have problems with iron levels.

This week I am trying to get back on to a normal schedule and decided to get a cycling lactate test done with Cliff at Transition Point Training and MultiSport Zone. It was a great experience and hopefully will get me to where I need to be on the bike. My aerobic power was 165w and my anaerobic power was 193w. Cliff's suggestion was that I need to raise my anaerobic power first then raise the aerobic power.

Indoor cycling in the summer equals tons of sweating. I have never sweat so much in my life as when I did the lactate test. I should have taken this as a sign that I may need to drink a lot to refuel. I didn't do this. Went out to the Tuesday night bike ride, and my legs were absolutely toast. I was doing everything I could to hang with the leaders. A combination of both these rides absolutely wrecked my body. When I got home I was cold and shivering then hot and sweating. Tried to stomach some food, and thought I was going to throw up for sure. Still felt terrible the next day and just stayed in bed drinking water all day. I was finally able to eat a bit at dinner. Tried running a bit today, but I cut it a bit short as my stomach was really upset didn't feel 100%. I am going to try and do an easy swim tonight.

I would also like to thank MultiSport Zone for the sponsorship. I can't wait to rock the tri suit in my next race.

No comments:

Post a Comment